I made gdb 4.17.0.2 for linu/x86

It seems to me that x86 FPU is not working at all in gdb 4.17. Even the
comments on REGISTER_NAMES in config/i386/tm-i386.h is incorrect. From
all I can see, the order of the first 19 registers, 8 general purpose
registers, %eip, %eflags, dummy, and 8 floating point registers, must
match the compiler's numbering scheme. Otherwise, you will get the
wrong registers for floating point registers.

Anyway, my patch seems to fix FPU for Linux/x86. It shouldn't be hard
to add support for other OSes if they can get FPU register values from
kernel. But due to Bill's copyright issue, my patch may not be easily
integrated into gdb. I made gdb 4.17.0.2 for Linux/x86. It should be
useful for people working with floating point numbers. I know I can
use it in glibc 2 work.

H.J.
---
Hi, Folks,

This is the beta release of gdb 4.17.0.2, which is based on gdb 4.17
plus x86 FPU support. You need linux 2.1.xx or above to get the x86
FPU to work correctly. The Linux/x86 binary works with all recent
kernels and C libraries, and the x86 FPU support is enabled at the
run-time, depending on the kernel version.

Please report any bugs related to gdb 4.17.0.2 to hjl@lucon.org.

Changes from gdb 4.17:

1. Linux/x86 FPU support is added. You can debug floating point numbers
   just like integers.
2. x86 hardware watchpoint is extended to long long, double and long
   double.
3. More information on x86 CPU status register.
4. Fix a bug when reading beyond the memory boundary.

The file list:

1. gdb-4.17-4.17.0.2.diff.gz. Patch against gdb 4.17.
2. gdb-4.17.0.2.x86.gz. Precompiled Linux/x86 statically linked binary.

The ftp sites for my gdb patches:

ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/gcc

gdb 4.17 source code is available at

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu

To install the precompiled binary,

# gunzp gdb-4.17.0.2.x86.gz