Re: disabling tls in glibc-2.3.2

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Igor Schein suggested tentatively:
> I have an application which misbehaves when runtime-linked against
> /lib/tls/libc.so.6, so I always want it linked against the 2nd one in
> order, /lib/i686/libc.so.6.  I can't achieve that by LD_RUN_PATH.  How
> can I do that?

You can turn any of them off by setting DL_HWCAP_MASK to appropriate
values at runtime or ldconfig time...

... *except* for `tls', which is magicked in at the latest possible
stage (in _dl_important_hwcaps()): looking at the source I can see no
obvious way to disable searching for it. I don't have a clue why `tls'
is treated so specially. Roland or Ulrich might know.

>                2nd question, if I want to disable tls libraries
> globally, how can I change the order of ld cache using ldconfig?  I
> only came up with a brute chmod 0 /lib/tls, but there have to be a
> better way.

For *every* other hwcap, there is. For TLS, I can't see one.

But I am only a neophyte. There may be a smarter way which I just can't
see.

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management